Although crowns can't decay, maintaining good dental hygiene is still important. Taking care of crowns you've gotten at Northern Westchester Prosthodontics is simple, but knowing the best practices helps make sure that they'll last for years to come, saving you money, time, and discomfort in the process. Dr. Terry Lim, your cosmetic dentist in Katonah, New York, offers some tips for his patients with crowns in this post.
When you're wearing a crown, the natural tooth is completely covered. This doesn't mean, however, that the crown is a complete barrier from decay. As you know, bacteria are microscopic, which means that it can find its way under a crown and cause a cavity to develop. That's why good brushing habits are so important. Your Katonah dentist recommends using a soft-bristled toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste to carefully brush for two minutes twice a day. Many people with restorations such as crowns find that it's easier and more efficient to use electric toothbrushes to gently scrub and polish the teeth.
Healthy gums are vital to your overall dental health. Keeping your gums clean ensures that your teeth and any restorations you have remain stable; advanced gum disease can cause bone loss and loosening of the teeth. However, you may have found that flossing isn't quite as easy now that you have crowns. That's because crowns can slightly narrow the spaces between the teeth. To offset this change, your Katonah dentist suggests flossing with a threader. A threader is a thin, blunt plastic needle-like tool with floss attached to the opposite end; it assists in guiding the floss between the teeth. Water flossers, which are often included with electric toothbrushes, also make the process easier.
As always, visits twice a year to your dentist ensure the longevity of not only your crowns but your natural teeth as well!
For any questions about this post, or to make an appointment with Dr. Lin, contact Northern Westchester Prosthodontics in Katonah at (914) 232-8190.
Have you been thinking about improving your appearance with a cosmetic dentistry treatment? Your Katonah, NY, dentist, Dr. Terry Lin of Northern Westchester Prosthodontics, offers a variety of services and procedures that will enhance your smile.
What's the best treatment for your smile issues?
One or more of these treatments may be an excellent option for you:
- Teeth Whitening: Teeth whitening erases stains that dull your smile. Your dentist applies hydrogen peroxide gel to your teeth to break up and remove stains. The treatment only takes about an hour in the Katonah dental office and dramatically improves your smile. In fact, most people notice a three- to eight-shade improvement in their teeth after whitening.
- Clear Aligners: Wire braces aren't the only choice if you want to straighten your teeth. Clear, removable aligners are a discreet option that works just as well as traditional braces. Transparent aligner trays worn over your teeth gradually realign your smile by exerting constant, gentle pressure on your teeth. Clear aligners are a good choice no matter what your age.
- Crowns: Crowns protect and restore fragile and damaged teeth and also improve tooth appearance. Hollow crowns, also called caps, are placed over teeth that have been reduced in size. A crown can be a good choice if you want to hide a discoloration or imperfection, change the shape or length of a tooth, strengthen a cracked or fragile tooth, or restore a broken tooth.
- Bridges: If you've lost a tooth or two, a bridge can restore your appearance and your chewing ability. Bridges consist of one or two artificial teeth sandwiched between two crowns. The crowns are cemented on to supporting teeth, providing stability for the bridge.
- Dental Implants: Implants offer another way to replace lost teeth. Thanks to innovative implant technology, your dentist can recreate your entire missing tooth. Tiny titanium posts are implanted in your jawbone during the first step in the process. The posts bond to your jawbone and become the roots for your new teeth. Once the implants are securely attached to your jawbone, your dentist connects dental crowns to the top of them. Dental Implants will probably last your entire lifetime and feel very much like natural teeth.
Transform your smile with cosmetic dentistry. Call your dentist in Katonah, NY, Dr. Lin of Northern Westchester Prosthodontics, at (914) 232-8190 to schedule your appointment.
Dental implant restoration is changing the way lost teeth are replaced. For many people who have lost teeth due to age, gum disease, injury, or tooth decay, dentures are no longer the only solution. The reason dental implant restoration is so popular is that it provides the closest solution to your own natural teeth in terms of function, appearance, and comfort. You’ll find Dr. Terry Lin at Northern Westchester Prosthodontics in Katonah, NY. He specializes in implant dentistry.
Dental Implant Restoration Explained
Restoration with dental implants is a procedure that replaces one or more missing teeth with a prosthetic tooth. Unlike dentures or bridges, a dental implant is permanent. A titanium post is implanted into the jawbone and over the next 4-5 months, the bone fuses with the post, forming a secure foundation for the replacement tooth. An abutment is added to the post, which allows the prosthetic tooth to be attached. Dental implants can match your natural teeth.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Katonah dental patients can benefit from implant dentistry in the following ways:
- Preserving the integrity of your jawbones
- Restoring the structure of your facial features
- Preventing your teeth from moving
- Improving speech, biting, and chewing
- Boosting your self-confidence
One of the best things about dental implants is that you won’t be able to tell them from your natural teeth. You can have a full smile without the discomfort and inconvenience of dentures. What’s more, if you take care of your dental implants as you would your natural teeth, they can last for years to come, so you won’t have to worry about replacing them.
If you live in Katonah, NY and you would like to find out more about implant dentistry, call Dr. Lin on (914) 232-8190 to schedule a consultation.
Think of porcelain veneers as masks for the teeth. They’re a layer of ultra-thin porcelain shells that will are placed over your natural teeth for concealing cosmetic concerns such as discoloration, gaps between teeth, chips, and unevenly-shaped teeth. This cosmetic dentistry treatment should last you 10 years or longer with routine maintenance by your dentist at Northern Westchester Prosthodontics in Katonah, NY, Dr. Terry Lin, and these easy care tips.
Continue with Your Regular Oral Hygiene Habits
You won’t have to make drastic modifications to your oral care routine but you’ll still need to make certain that you continue brushing your pearly whites at least twice daily, flossing them at least once daily, and rinsing with fluoridated or antibacterial mouthwash. As usual, brush for a minimum of two minutes and use a soft-bristled brush and fluoridated toothpaste. These habits will ensure the health of your natural teeth and your porcelain veneers.
Don’t Use Your Porcelain Veneers for Chewing on Hard Foods and Things
While porcelain veneers are immensely durable, they’re still not up to par with your real teeth. Avoid chewing on things like pens or your fingernails. Additionally, hard nuts, candy apples, pretzels, and similar hard foods are bad for your porcelain veneers.
If you must eat hard foods, you can use your back teeth for chewing or cut them up into tiny pieces prior to eating them to help make sure that your veneers won’t do any hard work. Likewise, while porcelain veneers are highly resistant to stains, you will still have to refrain from drinks and foods that cause stains since you’ll still have your natural teeth.
Don’t Forget to See Your Dentist Regularly
Always go to your scheduled dental cleanings and checkups. This will help your dentist in Katonah, NY, monitor not only your overall oral health but the condition of your porcelain veneers as well. Also, take note that this cosmetic dentistry treatment can be affected by teeth grinding or bruxism, so regular visits to your dentist are an excellent way to keep track of this condition and other dental issues that could endanger your oral health.
For More Details on Porcelain Veneers and Other Cosmetic Dentistry Services We Offer, Contact Us
Schedule your consultation with Dr. Terry Lin, our dentist here at Northern Westchester Prosthodontics in Katonah, NY, by dialing (914) 232-8190.
Your Katonah, NY, cosmetic and implant dentist, Dr. Terry Lin of Northern Westchester Prosthodontics, can help you replace your missing teeth with dental implants. Implant dentistry improves your appearance and also provides a few other benefits.
How tooth loss affects you
Our society places great importance on a full, healthy smile. If you're missing teeth, revealing your changed smile to the world may be the last thing you want to do. Eventually, you may notice a decrease in self-confidence and self-esteem that affects your personal or professional life.
In addition to the obvious change to your appearance, tooth loss may also:
- Make Eating Difficult: Biting, grinding, tearing and chewing food can become more challenging after you lose teeth.
- Affect Your Diet: Eating a variety of foods may not be possible depending on the number of teeth you've lost. If you limit your diet to soft foods, you may not receive the nutrients you need to stay healthy.
- Cause Wear and Tear on Your Other Teeth: Your upper and lower teeth work together when you chew. If one or more teeth are missing, other teeth must take over for them. These teeth may soon become to show premature signs of wear and tear or damage.
- Change the Alignment of Your Other Teeth: Teeth often shift after tooth loss. If they begin to drift and overlap, your appearance and your bite can be affected.
- Alter Your Speech: Teeth are essential for clear speech. After tooth loss, you may find it hard to pronounce certain words or sounds.
Dental implants can restore your smile
Tooth loss doesn't have to permanently change your smile, thanks to dental implants. Implants replace your tooth roots and are connected to dental crowns to create brand new permanent teeth.
At your first dental implant appointment in the Katonah dental office, tiny titanium posts will be placed in openings made in your jawbone during minor oral surgery. The posts will bond to your jawbone and serve as the roots for your new teeth.
The dental crowns attached to the top of the implants are made from an impression of your mouth to ensure that your new teeth look perfectly natural. Single implants and implant-supported bridges and dentures can replace any number of missing teeth.
Dental implants improve your appearance and self-confidence and allow you to eat your favorite foods with ease.
Implant dentistry helps you fill the gaps in your smile! Call your Katonah, NY, dentist, Dr. Lin of Northern Westchester Prosthodontics, at (914) 232-8190 to schedule your appointment.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.