Damaged teeth can be too weak to bite and chew food without significant sensitivity and pain. There is hope, though. It is possible to strengthen damaged teeth and restore biting and chewing functions with dental crowns. In Katonah, NY, crowns are available at Northern Westchester Prosthodontics, where Dr. Terry Lin can strengthen and restore your smile.
What are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are hollow tooth-like shells that fit over damaged teeth like caps. The affected tooth is completely encased inside the crown, which protects it from sustaining additional damage or wear and tear. The crown gives the tooth a strong and durable new exterior that can withstand the force of biting and chewing so normal functions can be restored.
Each crown is custom fabricated to fit perfectly over its corresponding tooth. Additionally, dental crowns can be made from a variety of materials, including cast gold and porcelain. Each material offers distinct advantages. Gold is the strongest and most durable material, while porcelain crowns readily blend in with your smile. The experienced dentist at our office in Katonah, NY, can determine if crowns are the best option for strengthening your teeth.
In addition to strengthening damaged teeth, protecting them from further damage, and restoring biting and chewing functions, dental crowns can also serve another purpose. They can dramatically improve the appearance of teeth with cosmetic imperfections. Since a crown fits directly over the natural tooth, it is possible to conceal a wide range of flaws, including stains, discolorations, chipped areas and cracks.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Crowns are a wise option for strengthening damaged teeth as they offer numerous benefits. Some key benefits include:
- Each crown is custom fabricated for a perfect fit
- Crowns strengthen teeth that are weak or damaged
- They protect teeth from sustaining further damage
- Crowns restore normal biting and chewing functions
- Cast gold crowns are extremely strong and durable
- Porcelain crowns look just like natural teeth and readily blend in
- Crowns can improve the appearance of teeth with visible flaws
If you have teeth that are too worn down, weak or damaged to perform normal biting and chewing functions, dental crowns can help. They strengthen damaged teeth and restore functioning. Dr. Lin can help you decide if crowns are the right option for you. For dental crowns in Katonah, NY, call Northern Westchester Prosthodontics at (914) 232-8190.
When you are missing one or more teeth, the issue is not just aesthetic. It can impact the way you eat, speak, and can lead to problems with your smile such as overcrowding if the remaining teeth shift because of the gap. This can alter your bite, and lead to possible bone loss. Restoring these missing teeth is very important and though there are alternatives, dental implants are the most lifelike solution available. For more information about dental implants, contact Dr. Terry Lin of Northern Westchester Prosthodontics in Katonah, NY.
A Smile That Lasts
You have options when restoring your smile. If you are missing teeth, dental bridges, and dentures are common choices. While these may still be the desired option for certain cases, dental implants surpass them when it comes to longevity. Although initially they require the longest investment of time, the result could last a lifetime if cared for properly.
A reason why dental implants will last so long is because of the way they are supported. A titanium post is used in place of a root just like with a natural tooth. This post is permanently bonded to the bone through a process called osseointegration, and the best part about it is that unlike with a dental bridge, your healthy adjacent teeth will not have to be used as support.
For cases with multiple missing teeth, implant-supported dentures are an excellent alternative to traditional ones.
Dental implants are a complete solution to tooth loss. They can last a lifetime and also look and function just like a natural tooth in their appearance and strength. Not only that, but they are also very easy to care for and keep clean. You just brush and floss them like you do the rest of your smile. Even though dental implants are not affected by cavities, good dental health affects your entire smile.
Dental Implants in Katonah, NY
If you want to know if dental implants are the best solution for you, make an appointment today with Dr. Lin of Northern Westchester Prosthodontics in Katonah, NY, by dialing (914) 232-8190.
A dental filling can save your smile! Dental fillings can save a tooth that has been compromised by decay and preserve your natural tooth. Dr. Terry Lin of Northern Westchester Prosthodontics in Katonah, NY, places fillings for patients to revive teeth and preserve smiles.
Dental Fillings in Katonah, NY
Dental fillings are made from composite resin. This strong material is designed to blend in perfectly with your natural teeth. Fillings are used to treat cavities but they can also help your smile cosmetically.
Cavities can happen to patients of all ages and fillings can help make your tooth strong again. Tooth decay happens when plaque builds up on the tooth. The bacteria can compromise the tooth's enamel and create a cavity. The first sign of tooth decay a patient usually notices is tooth pain. By the time a patient feels pain there is probably already a large cavity, so regular visits and exams are important to preserve your teeth.
Fillings can also repair worn-down teeth. If teeth are worn from grinding, a filling can make a tooth strong again and protect it from further damage.
Getting a dental filling
The procedure for getting a filling is routine and relatively painless. Before any work starts, the area is numbed with a local anesthetic. Once you are numb, any decay is removed and drilled away from the tooth. A filling is placed in the cavity to strengthen your tooth. The filling may be shaped and polished to blend in with your smile.
Caring for your filling is just like caring for your natural tooth. Your dentist will recommend brushing for two minutes twice a day and flossing at least once a day. Regular cleaning and exam appointments twice a year help prevent tooth decay and cavities.
If you are having tooth pain or need a filling, come see Dr. Lin at Northern Westchester Prosthodontics. Contact us in Katonah, NY, at (914) 232-8190.
Although crowns can't decay, maintaining good dental hygiene is still important. Taking care of crowns you've gotten at Northern Westchester Prosthodontics is simple, but knowing the best practices helps make sure that they'll last for years to come, saving you money, time, and discomfort in the process. Dr. Terry Lim, your cosmetic dentist in Katonah, New York, offers some tips for his patients with crowns in this post.
When you're wearing a crown, the natural tooth is completely covered. This doesn't mean, however, that the crown is a complete barrier from decay. As you know, bacteria are microscopic, which means that it can find its way under a crown and cause a cavity to develop. That's why good brushing habits are so important. Your Katonah dentist recommends using a soft-bristled toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste to carefully brush for two minutes twice a day. Many people with restorations such as crowns find that it's easier and more efficient to use electric toothbrushes to gently scrub and polish the teeth.
Healthy gums are vital to your overall dental health. Keeping your gums clean ensures that your teeth and any restorations you have remain stable; advanced gum disease can cause bone loss and loosening of the teeth. However, you may have found that flossing isn't quite as easy now that you have crowns. That's because crowns can slightly narrow the spaces between the teeth. To offset this change, your Katonah dentist suggests flossing with a threader. A threader is a thin, blunt plastic needle-like tool with floss attached to the opposite end; it assists in guiding the floss between the teeth. Water flossers, which are often included with electric toothbrushes, also make the process easier.
As always, visits twice a year to your dentist ensure the longevity of not only your crowns but your natural teeth as well!
For any questions about this post, or to make an appointment with Dr. Lin, contact Northern Westchester Prosthodontics in Katonah at (914) 232-8190.
Have you been thinking about improving your appearance with a cosmetic dentistry treatment? Your Katonah, NY, dentist, Dr. Terry Lin of Northern Westchester Prosthodontics, offers a variety of services and procedures that will enhance your smile.
What's the best treatment for your smile issues?
One or more of these treatments may be an excellent option for you:
- Teeth Whitening: Teeth whitening erases stains that dull your smile. Your dentist applies hydrogen peroxide gel to your teeth to break up and remove stains. The treatment only takes about an hour in the Katonah dental office and dramatically improves your smile. In fact, most people notice a three- to eight-shade improvement in their teeth after whitening.
- Clear Aligners: Wire braces aren't the only choice if you want to straighten your teeth. Clear, removable aligners are a discreet option that works just as well as traditional braces. Transparent aligner trays worn over your teeth gradually realign your smile by exerting constant, gentle pressure on your teeth. Clear aligners are a good choice no matter what your age.
- Crowns: Crowns protect and restore fragile and damaged teeth and also improve tooth appearance. Hollow crowns, also called caps, are placed over teeth that have been reduced in size. A crown can be a good choice if you want to hide a discoloration or imperfection, change the shape or length of a tooth, strengthen a cracked or fragile tooth, or restore a broken tooth.
- Bridges: If you've lost a tooth or two, a bridge can restore your appearance and your chewing ability. Bridges consist of one or two artificial teeth sandwiched between two crowns. The crowns are cemented on to supporting teeth, providing stability for the bridge.
- Dental Implants: Implants offer another way to replace lost teeth. Thanks to innovative implant technology, your dentist can recreate your entire missing tooth. Tiny titanium posts are implanted in your jawbone during the first step in the process. The posts bond to your jawbone and become the roots for your new teeth. Once the implants are securely attached to your jawbone, your dentist connects dental crowns to the top of them. Dental Implants will probably last your entire lifetime and feel very much like natural teeth.
Transform your smile with cosmetic dentistry. Call your dentist in Katonah, NY, Dr. Lin of Northern Westchester Prosthodontics, at (914) 232-8190 to schedule your appointment.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.