Posts for category: Dental Procedures
Have you been thinking about improving your appearance with a cosmetic dentistry treatment? Your Katonah, NY, dentist, Dr. Terry Lin of Northern Westchester Prosthodontics, offers a variety of services and procedures that will enhance your smile.
What's the best treatment for your smile issues?
One or more of these treatments may be an excellent option for you:
- Teeth Whitening: Teeth whitening erases stains that dull your smile. Your dentist applies hydrogen peroxide gel to your teeth to break up and remove stains. The treatment only takes about an hour in the Katonah dental office and dramatically improves your smile. In fact, most people notice a three- to eight-shade improvement in their teeth after whitening.
- Clear Aligners: Wire braces aren't the only choice if you want to straighten your teeth. Clear, removable aligners are a discreet option that works just as well as traditional braces. Transparent aligner trays worn over your teeth gradually realign your smile by exerting constant, gentle pressure on your teeth. Clear aligners are a good choice no matter what your age.
- Crowns: Crowns protect and restore fragile and damaged teeth and also improve tooth appearance. Hollow crowns, also called caps, are placed over teeth that have been reduced in size. A crown can be a good choice if you want to hide a discoloration or imperfection, change the shape or length of a tooth, strengthen a cracked or fragile tooth, or restore a broken tooth.
- Bridges: If you've lost a tooth or two, a bridge can restore your appearance and your chewing ability. Bridges consist of one or two artificial teeth sandwiched between two crowns. The crowns are cemented on to supporting teeth, providing stability for the bridge.
- Dental Implants: Implants offer another way to replace lost teeth. Thanks to innovative implant technology, your dentist can recreate your entire missing tooth. Tiny titanium posts are implanted in your jawbone during the first step in the process. The posts bond to your jawbone and become the roots for your new teeth. Once the implants are securely attached to your jawbone, your dentist connects dental crowns to the top of them. Dental Implants will probably last your entire lifetime and feel very much like natural teeth.
Transform your smile with cosmetic dentistry. Call your dentist in Katonah, NY, Dr. Lin of Northern Westchester Prosthodontics, at (914) 232-8190 to schedule your appointment.
Dental implant restoration is changing the way lost teeth are replaced. For many people who have lost teeth due to age, gum disease, injury, or tooth decay, dentures are no longer the only solution. The reason dental implant restoration is so popular is that it provides the closest solution to your own natural teeth in terms of function, appearance, and comfort. You’ll find Dr. Terry Lin at Northern Westchester Prosthodontics in Katonah, NY. He specializes in implant dentistry.
Dental Implant Restoration Explained
Restoration with dental implants is a procedure that replaces one or more missing teeth with a prosthetic tooth. Unlike dentures or bridges, a dental implant is permanent. A titanium post is implanted into the jawbone and over the next 4-5 months, the bone fuses with the post, forming a secure foundation for the replacement tooth. An abutment is added to the post, which allows the prosthetic tooth to be attached. Dental implants can match your natural teeth.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Katonah dental patients can benefit from implant dentistry in the following ways:
- Preserving the integrity of your jawbones
- Restoring the structure of your facial features
- Preventing your teeth from moving
- Improving speech, biting, and chewing
- Boosting your self-confidence
One of the best things about dental implants is that you won’t be able to tell them from your natural teeth. You can have a full smile without the discomfort and inconvenience of dentures. What’s more, if you take care of your dental implants as you would your natural teeth, they can last for years to come, so you won’t have to worry about replacing them.
If you live in Katonah, NY and you would like to find out more about implant dentistry, call Dr. Lin on (914) 232-8190 to schedule a consultation.
Protect cracked, damaged teeth for life with dental crowns.
You’ve waited all week for it: date night! You’re about to go with your sweetie to catch the latest movie and you’ve pulled out all the stops: popcorn, drinks and candy. You get settled in ready to watch this action-packed flick when you crunch down on a kernel. Ouch! Now you’re dealing with a chipped or broken tooth. Now what? We are sorry to say it but you’ll need to give your date a rain check and then see our Katonah, NY, prosthodontist Dr. Terry Lin for immediate care.
A dental crown is a restoration that is made to look just like a real tooth. The restorative “cap” is hollow, which allows it to completely cover a tooth and protect it all the way down to the gums. Each crown is custom made based on the measurements and shade of your natural teeth, so that the crown fits right in and looks just like the rest of your natural smile once it’s placed. Our Katonah, NY, cosmetic dentist prides himself on creating lifelike crowns for patients of all ages, from children to seniors.
When Dental Crowns are Used
Crowns are one of the most versatile restorations we offer and can be used to address a wide range of issues. If a tooth has a very large and old dental filling the filling may no longer be able to fully support the tooth. To prevent the tooth from fracturing or weakening as a result, our dentist will remove the filling and then place a dental crown over the tooth to provide it with more ample protection and support.
A crown is most often used to improve a tooth’s durability, functionality, and appearance. If a tooth just happens to be misshapen or malformed, a crown can also be placed over it to change the shape, size, and color. Sometimes crowns are even used to hold a dental bridge firmly in place or to cover a dental implant. From treating tooth loss to improving how your teeth function, crowns can do it all.
Do you have questions about dental crowns, implants or the other restorative treatments Dr. Lin and his team offer? If so, call Northern Westchester Prosthodontics in Katonah, NY, today at (914) 232-8190 to schedule a consultation.
Dental implants not only restore your missing teeth but also provide a few other benefits for your smile. The popular cosmetic dentistry option is among the treatments and procedures offered by your Katonah, NY, cosmetic and implant dentist, Dr. Terry Lin.
Dental implants boost your self-confidence
Self-confidence and self-esteem issues are common after tooth loss. In fact, you may be reluctant to socialize or apply for new jobs after you lose a tooth. Implants fill the gaps in your smile, restoring your normal appearance and boosting your confidence level.
Implants make eating easier
Have you stopped eating certain foods because it's difficult for you to tear or bite food due to your missing teeth? If you don't restore your teeth, you may be at risk of developing nutritional deficiencies. Fortunately, once you receive your implant, you'll be able to enjoy all of your favorite foods once again.
Dental implants offer a comfortable restoration option
Dentures and bridges don't always feel completely natural. It may be harder to chew some foods with these restorations, or you may notice that your dentures tend to slip occasionally when you eat. That's not the case with dental implants. Since the implants are securely bonded to your jawbone, they won't budge when you eat or speak.
Dental implants are versatile
Other restoration options have limits but not dental implants. You can use implants to replace any number of missing teeth. Although they're often used to restore just one missing tooth, your Katonah dentist may also suggest dental implants if you've lost all of your teeth.
Implant-supported dentures are attached to four or more implants or a metal framework attached to directly to the implants. They're a more comfortable alternative to traditional dentures and won't significantly decrease your biting power.
Implants help you look younger
Tooth loss can cause your jaw to shrink. The problem, called resorption, occurs when a portion of your jawbone no longer receives stimulation from tooth roots. If resorption is severe, your lower face may begin to sag, making you look older. Implants press on your jawbone, keeping it strong and healthy.
Fill the gaps in your smile with dental implants! If you're interested in this cosmetic dentistry restoration option, call your Katonah, NY, cosmetic and implant dentist, Dr. Terry Lin, at (914) 232-8190 to schedule an appointment.
When a tooth begins failing due to multiple procedures or extensive decay, you may still save it with a beautiful porcelain crown from Northern Westchester Prosthodontics in Katonah, NY. Dr. Terry Lin, uses the finest materials, along with premier diagnostic and treatment tools, to create and place these restorations so your smile stays complete and strong.
What is a dental crown?
A dental crown from your Katonah, NY, dentist is a tooth-shaped cap made of high-quality porcelain. It replaces damaged enamel by covering remaining healthy portions from the gums on up. Also, it blends it with neighboring teeth in terms of size, shape, bite and color. Your smile will appear and act perfectly normal.
Can your tooth receive a crown?
It can as determined by Dr. Lin's examination and precise imaging techniques. Some teeth require endodontic therapy--a root canal procedure--before receiving crowns. Root canals eliminate infection and inflamed interior pulp and also strengthen the tooth with a special sealant.
In addition, many of Dr. Lin's patients have more extensive restorative needs. For instance, they may need one or more teeth replaced with dental implants or fixed bridges. Both of these tooth replacement options utilize custom-made dental crowns.
The single-tooth crown
Consider a tooth compromised by multiple fillings. It's weak and may fracture at any time. Dr. Lin can remove that old filling material and shape the remaining tooth structure to receive a crown. He uses the Trios 3 Shape intraoral scanner to take accurate oral impressions digitally and to design your new crown with the right color and shape.
Once placed, cemented in place and adjusted for bite, the crown will look realistic and function exceptionally well. Most crowns last for at least a decade. However, just as with any of your teeth, this restoration requires careful oral hygiene at home and at your dentist's office.
Care must include:
- Twice a day brushing and flossing, according to American Dental Association guidelines
- Six-month professional cleanings and check-ups
- Avoidance of hard foods such as peanut brittle or ice
- Wearing a bite guard at night if you have a habit of grinding or clenching your teeth
Only the best
At Northern Westchester Prosthodontics in Katonah, NY, count on the finest in tooth restoration and replacement. Dr. Lin will be happy to speak with you on any dental issue you may have and give you a treatment plan for the healthiest possible smile. Call (914) 232-8190 to schedule a consultation today!